PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to euthanize or no???

Cedrica-the-Bard
05-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Please, please, please confirm or deny if we will be getting any extra character slots to create a monk. I adore all of my characters, but if I have to kill one off I would like some time to grieve and prepare ahead of time. Perhaps plan a funeral, get affairs in proper order, do up a last will and testament, etc..

cdbd3rd
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM
As an alternative, you could toss one char to another server. Prolly less painful than euthanasia. ;)

(IF we don't get a slot....)

Dexxaan
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Cedrica!

I´m on the same boat as you (of course I have a L15 Mule that could bite it if needed, but prefer the storage space)

I´ve been questioning the Wisdom of insta-making a Monk right from day 1.

Allow me to explain: Many times something comes out, then the nerf requests come in, Bugs get fixed (yeah right), maybe they´ll NOT give you an extra slot initially but a few weeks later they reconsider due to forum tears, and all that jazz can make you roll a monk that maybe you´d rather have different. of course you can always re-roll, something I have never done, (although I have deleted toons, but never re-rolled) so if you share my train of thought...maybe time to chill and enjoy the ensuing "Monkey" business. :D

Anyway....just a thought about current situation for us tapped out at 10 toons (after deleting Talonian....:()

Of course if you do euthanize a toon....I´ll take all your gear and hold it for ya!:eek:

Cedrica-the-Bard
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Cedrica!

I´m on the same boat as you (of course I have a L15 Mule that could bite it if needed, but prefer the storage space)

I´ve been questioning the Wisdom of insta-making a Monk right from day 1.

Allow me to explain: Many times something comes out, then the nerf requests come in, Bugs get fixed (yeah right), maybe they´ll NOT give you an extra slot initially but a few weeks later they reconsider due to forum tears, and all that jazz can make you roll a monk that maybe you´d rather have different. of course you can always re-roll, something I have never done, (although I have deleted toons, but never re-rolled) so if you share my train of thought...maybe time to chill and enjoy the ensuing "Monkey" business. :D

Anyway....just a thought about current situation for us tapped out at 10 toons (after deleting Talonian....:()

Of course if you do euthanize a toon....I´ll take all your gear and hold it for ya!:eek:

Hey Dexx. Yeah, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to wait a bit for the inevitable bugs to get worked out. In the meantime, I can help with the raiding. I also have Risia, I'm hoping I can test out the Monk there just to get a feel for it before having to make the big call on death... :(

And if I have to store my gear somewhere, I FULLY AND COMPLETELY trust you to take good care of it. ;)

Samadhi
05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I feel your pain - and I decided after the last time I deleted a capped toon that I later regretted - that I'm done with this process.

Turbine, I plead with you to add more character slots, so that I have something I continue to enjoy doing in this game.

Aspenor
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Not to be a jerk, but IF I worked for Turbine, my suggestion would be to buy another account. May not be a very appealing choice, but they are doing this for the money, and saving data costs money.

DelScorcho
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Or delete an old mule, and visit him on Risia when you miss him.

Zenako
05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
For trying things out, pop onto another server and give the new class a whirl. What I will likely do. (would have to delete more than one to hit the slot limit, so no likely to be happening for me on my main server at this point.)

Samadhi
05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Not to be a jerk, but IF I worked for Turbine, my suggestion would be to buy another account. May not be a very appealing choice, but they are doing this for the money, and saving data costs money.

You very well be right about their logic, but barring new character slot additions, at least for myself, I'm more likely to cancel altogether than to buy a second account.

Borror0
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM
You very well be right about their logic, but barring new character slot additions, at least for myself, I'm more likely to cancel altogether than to buy a second account.

That's illogic.

You'd be willing to continue to play if they add a new slot? But you'd rather stop playing than delete a character?!:confused:

Lizardgrad89
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM

New Egg has 1 TERABYTE hard drives on sale for $190. Do you know how many characters you could store on that? Has to be at least 10,000, so if everyone had 20 toons, that would mean 500 players could store their characters on the hard drive. That $190 investment is holding the data for players paying at least $5,000.00 per month. And yes, I realize that Turbine has to work with commercial grade equipment, but even if the hard drives cost 5 times as much, that's still a cheap investment compared to the performance.

I think Turbine can pony up and buy a couple more hard drives and try to make their CUSTOMERS happy.

Warmane
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
(although I have deleted toons, but never re-rolled)

Waht is the diff between just deleting and re-rolling a character? Kinda noobish question, sorry....

Allistair
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM

As someone that has two accounts, let me tell you it's a PIA to close the game, then start it back up to switch accounts.
Plus the second account starts off with only 28 pt builds and no drow. (Please don't tell me how EASY these are to accuire)

A second account would be more of an option to people if it were easier to toggle between them, and if they could start off
with the favor bonus from the first account? (Say like they were both billed to the same credit card?)

When all is said and done, the second account is more of an option than switching servers.
The reason I play on my server is, I like it. That's where all my friends are. That's where my Guild is located.
That is where the people I want to group with are located.
For some of us, it's the people that keep us playing, not the game itself.
After 2 years of playing, if it weren't for the people I've grown to call friends, I'd have stopped playing. I'm not going to another server.

Dexxaan
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Waht is the diff between just deleting and re-rolling a character? Kinda noobish question, sorry....

No need to be sorry.

Many people delete and re-roll the same build type with another Stat value arrangements, new skill point allocations, Attribute Increases, etc....

I had mentioned I have never rerolled, just deleted 2 maybe 3. I have a nasty habit of planning out my characters to level 20 since mod 4 (maybe even sooner, as soon as I heard turbine would take this game to about Level 20..and that anything higher would be EPIC and highly unlikely).

To this I´d suggest using a great tool the Character Planner 2.85 from Ron (http://www.rjcyberware.com).

rawfocat
05-20-2008, 11:32 AM
New Egg has 1 TERABYTE hard drives on sale for $190. Do you know how many characters you could store on that? Has to be at least 10,000, so if everyone had 20 toons, that would mean 500 players could store their characters on the hard drive. That $190 investment is holding the data for players paying at least $5,000.00 per month. And yes, I realize that Turbine has to work with commercial grade equipment, but even if the hard drives cost 5 times as much, that's still a cheap investment compared to the performance.

I think Turbine can pony up and buy a couple more hard drives and try to make their CUSTOMERS happy.

It is not the drives it is the maintences and support. Now I have no idea, what format Turbine uses for data, but it is probably in a database of some kind. The tables that it is stored in are mapped to a file(s) in a storage array. You can not just pop a $190 drive in and go. You have to migrate data into the new data area and that is assuming that the storage array they have even have space. Finally if the pay a hosting vendor for the servers, there may be a monitoring, installation and/or change cost as well. Additionally they have to maintain the data. Doubling data means increasing the maintenance window as well

ArkoHighStar
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM

data drives are not all created equal, and the $190 SATA drive is not what Turbine stores our data on, if they did you would not be playing because the system would be so slow that you would never get any data.
Enterprse level databases are stored on fiber attached SAN storage devices that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions. Basically it works like this a SAN contains multiple high speed small volume(generally no more than 100gbs but usuall in the 40gb range) than make up a large san fabric. When you need storage you carve out a portion of drive space from the fabric. Say you need 100gb, what it does is assign a small amount a of space from multiple drives which makes up the 100gb partition. This serves 2 purposes, since each drive is mirrored the chance of data corruption is smaller and you have much faster disk response because data is being read simultaniously from multiple drives instead of 1 head reading through one drive.

Aspenor
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Very true. I'm not defending the choice, I'm just stating what it is.

As someone that has two accounts, let me tell you it's a PIA to close the game, then start it back up to switch accounts.
Plus the second account starts off with only 28 pt builds and no drow. (Please don't tell me how EASY these are to accuire)

A second account would be more of an option to people if it were easier to toggle between them, and if they could start off
with the favor bonus from the first account? (Say like they were both billed to the same credit card?)

When all is said and done, the second account is more of an option than switching servers.
The reason I play on my server is, I like it. That's where all my friends are. That's where my Guild is located.
That is where the people I want to group with are located.
For some of us, it's the people that keep us playing, not the game itself.
After 2 years of playing, if it weren't for the people I've grown to call friends, I'd have stopped playing. I'm not going to another server.
Agreed, it would suck to close the game. Personally, I'd like to see Turbine code in an infinite number of extra character slots, at the a flat rate per character added over the current limit. Not sure whether it should be monthly, or a one time payment (2 or 3 dollars monthly? 20 dollar flat payment?)

theANTItommy
05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
i can picture the LFG window now... monks EVERYWHERE

thats my reason for not making one right away. all those monks are gonna need a caster sooner or later ;)

Zenako
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I figure I could be taking bids on lowbie cleric or bard services....:D

Lorien_the_First_One
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM

Asp... If I could buy a second account with 1750 unlocked I would. If I could pay double the fee for double the slots on my current account I would. If I could buy a new account and pay the $20 to move one of my 1750s to it to unlock favor, I would. I would love for Turbine to give us such paid options.

I will not pay to regrind 1750.

You need to figure about 10 times as much to get server quality storage, 20 times by the time you add the required infrastructure like backup capacity.

That said, you are correct it would pay for itself very quickly.

I have no idea why Turbine doesn't add capacity (if needed) in exchange for a premium slot option of some kind.

Zenako
05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Asp... If I could buy a second account with 1750 unlocked I would. If I could pay double the fee for double the slots on my current account I would. If I could buy a new account and pay the $20 to move one of my 1750s to it to unlock favor, I would. I would love for Turbine to give us such paid options.

I will not pay to regrind 1750.

You need to figure about 10 times as much to get server quality storage, 20 times by the time you add the required infrastructure like backup capacity.

That said, you are correct it would pay for itself very quickly.

I have no idea why Turbine doesn't add capacity (if needed) in exchange for a premium slot option of some kind.

I am guessing that they currently do not feel that the overall demand warrants it. While there are a handful of vocal posters who have expressed a 100% willingness to take up those options, not sure how many actually would avail themselves of that feature. Like how many players have actually ponied up the $$ to move characters to other servers? I know a few have done it, but not many. (I know of one player who moved a capper 1750 toon to another server since the favor perks move with them.)

jarlaxle_dourden
05-20-2008, 12:55 PM

What a crazy thing to say ...

There is a lot of work and grief that goes into a toon deletion or re-roll.

If that is the stance Turbine is going to take then I think they are going to lose a lot of customers just on principle.

If they suggested that to me ... I would consider it poor customer service ... and I would definitely re-think my sub.

It's just a game ... but I expect the company I am paying money to every month to provide me with good customer service. If they add a new class then they need to provide me with the ability to play that new class without having to do extra work on my end ... that is why I pay them and not vice versa.

Aspenor
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
What a crazy thing to say ...

There is a lot of work and grief that goes into a toon deletion or re-roll.

If that is the stance Turbine is going to take then I think they are going to lose a lot of customers just on principle.

If they suggested that to me ... I would consider it poor customer service ... and I would definitely re-think my sub.

It's just a game ... but I expect the company I am paying money to every month to provide me with good customer service. If they add a new class then they need to provide me with the ability to play that new class without having to do extra work on my end ... that is why I pay them and not vice versa.

I'm not saying they shouldn't give us a slot for our monks. It is my opinion they should.

I am merely responding, from my perception of Turbine's perspective, how they feel about adding more character slots. Doing so is a costly endeavor, no matter which way you slice it.

jarlaxle_dourden
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not saying they shouldn't give us a slot for our monks. It is my opinion they should.

I am merely responding, from my perception of Turbine's perspective, how they feel about adding more character slots. Doing so is a costly endeavor, no matter which way you slice it.

Coming from a project based IT background ... the cost of the extra slot has to be considered in the project plans/budget.

If they didn't then that is terrible planning on the part of Turbine and they may pay the price.

Missing_Minds
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM

*laughs* Sure.. now pay for the weekly and monthly backups of what they have in addition to all of this new storage. Business world is much more costly than home life.

Adding hard drives really won't increase any performance either at this stage unless their setup isn't utilizing the equipment to the fullest ability it could.

Rickpa
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
No slot?
No problem.

Just delete the paladin. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I am guessing that they currently do not feel that the overall demand warrants it. While there are a handful of vocal posters who have expressed a 100% willingness to take up those options, not sure how many actually would avail themselves of that feature. Like how many players have actually ponied up the $$ to move characters to other servers? I know a few have done it, but not many. (I know of one player who moved a capper 1750 toon to another server since the favor perks move with them.)

If only 1 person does it that adds cash to their bottom line as 1 extra person won't require any new hardware. This is a no loss situation to Turbine and some of the solutions, such as allowing you to move a char to a different account for a fee that's already on the books, requires no programming time at all. This is a pure profit move for Turbine.

Zenako
05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
If only 1 person does it that adds cash to their bottom line as 1 extra person won't require any new hardware. This is a no loss situation to Turbine and some of the solutions, such as allowing you to move a char to a different account for a fee that's already on the books, requires no programming time at all. This is a pure profit move for Turbine.

Other than the time it takes for the GM/operator to actually execute the move between servers or to change the settings on an account. Also right now the default account settings start with X slots, goes to X+1 with 400 favor and X+2 with 1750 favor. What your'e asking is for some additional code that could now be set to add on top of the X+0,1,2 settings. Would that be based on actual character count or character slots count.

For example, lets say that Turbine created a Premuim option that would charge you $1/month more for each slot over the existing maximum. You set up the account to create +3 slots for an extra $3/month. Well for those that already have paid for an extended period of time, you need to create some way to bill those players for the those months and tie that into their account settings. Is this all possible, for sure, no reason someone could not set this up, but, that is just it, someone has to set it up, debug it (and we all know how smoothly that goes) and then implement it. Would the extra slots only apply to one server or all servers? If you could have 9 slots on Sarlona, and paid for +3 Slots to get to 12 on Sarlona, would that mean you now had +3 slots on every other server too? Or would it be like the favor slots and only apply to the server you had favor on....until you moved a character with Favor to the other server so instead of 7 you now had 9 slots on that new server. There are numerous implementation issues that have to be considered.

All that takes time and money to accomplish. Time and money that will only be recovered if enough players choose to avail themselves of that option. If 10 players in the game add in a total of 50 slots for example, that would be an extra $50 a month right now. Don't know about you, but that would not pay for very much developement time. IF they knew that there would be a demand for 20,000 new slots and they could get $20,000/month additional revenue I am guessing they would be looking to get something in place. The actual number of people who really will put up the $$ is always a lot less than those who complain on a free forum about it. (personal anecdote from a message board/forum I helped mod for a while. The owner of the forum had some money issues, and asked the posters if they would be willing to help defray some costs. Lots of people said sure on the threads, but when it came time to send in a little $$, only a handful of the scores and hundreds who said sure, actually did.)

geoffhanna
05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
All these same arguments came out for the server merge too.

Bottom line is that they can give us a new slot. They may choose not to. I hope they choose to do so I don't have anyone I want to delete either.

unionyes
05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
No slot?
No problem.

Just delete the paladin. :)

But he has HIGH SAVING THROWS!!!!!!!!

Borror0
05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
But he has HIGH SAVING THROWS!!!!!!!!

And LAY ON HANDS!!!:rolleyes:

Vengenance
05-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Please give us another character slot. I had 10 slots, just deleted one of my level 14 chars to make room for my monk and then found out I should of only had 9 slots. Now I need to delete another character to make room for my monk. :(

Lorichie
05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
For me (for me) it was simple. I reroll a lot, every week, sometimes more. Having eight capped toons that have nothing to do but favor grind/ and so on leaves me bored. i would even be more so bored if i actually raid. Playing a lot every day does that. So about a month ago, i had toons on every other server, i started putzing around on them. Just couple hours at a time, do the ah thing to make a little money, level a cleric here and there. Now a month later, i have some level sevens and fives and fours etc, they have little bit of money, and on my home server i have two favor toons that while i do play them, its really only when new content arrives and thats it. so ill be moving those two to two servers, with a little cash, and a few yummies to outfit a few existing toons, ill have favor over there, can open nine spots on each of those two.

I paid for a second account a month ago as well, working on favor for that one as well. Long term, since i dont care and enjoy meeting new people and because i play so much and sometimes theres nothing going on, i can now pop onto three servers total that will have 1750 favor, with at least one capped favored toon. This will also open two more spots on my main account on my main server to putz around with monks on. and it only cost me the transfer fee times two.

for 50 dollars, i gained total of 18-20 32 pt build slots, not to mention i still have two more servers i can transfer a favor toon onto if i want, and thats only on first account, once i have second account favored the process can begin again.

Regardless of how, and if they choose to do some kind of premium service, almost nothing they would implement would give me more than what i could potentially have the way im doing it. Of course there's a way, guess im not trying to be literal, but the message here is: as long as youre willing to meet new folks, and not ironclad on only staying on one server/ account, you can gain a lot more than what they could probably do for us.

Some wont want to do this, thats ok, but there is a way for those of us that do, to take care of ourselves and not have to wait. I'm impatient, i want it all now lol. this way, i can.

FWIW,

RIch

Aspenor
05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I, too, would like another character slot...

I guess I should clarify that even though I can see why the devs might not want to give them to us, I do have a need for one :(

Lorien_the_First_One
05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Other than the time it takes for the GM/operator to actually execute the move between servers or to change the settings on an account.

But they have already costed that out and decided they make a profit at $20

Also right now the default account settings start with X slots, goes to X+1 with 400 favor and X+2 with 1750 favor. What your'e asking is for some additional code that could now be set to add on top of the X+0,1,2 settings. Would that be based on actual character count or character slots count.

Yes, that option would require coding. The allowing the moving of an existing char to a new account to unlock 1750 would not require additional coding.

TechNoFear
05-20-2008, 07:55 PM

The issue (IME) is not storage space but DB speed under load.

Each character has an ID number (ObjectReference) and a row in a table. Each piece of equipment has an ID number and a row in a table. Another table links the character to its equipment using these ID numbers.

As these tables get bigger they get exponentially slower to search.

Adding a new slot to everybody could increase the current search time by 15-20% (as adding ~11% more data).

Clayerful
05-20-2008, 10:43 PM
How about an option for people like me who HATE re-rolling to give up one or two of our character slots permanently, making room for those who need it? I have no need for 10 or even 8 slots.

parvo
05-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Please, please, please confirm or deny if we will be getting any extra character slots to create a monk. I adore all of my characters, but if I have to kill one off I would like some time to grieve and prepare ahead of time. Perhaps plan a funeral, get affairs in proper order, do up a last will and testament, etc..

It's not that bad...just delete em. In the end, it's all permadeath.

fatherpirate
05-21-2008, 04:23 AM
I agree with my fellow guildie

but, you could always start a monk on a different server if you just wanted to test drive one

parvo, see ya on Risia after it finishes loading up

clr/mnk ftr/mnk mnk mnk/rog
choices choices

always different but always from Sigil (this ID's me to guildies)

parvo
05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
parvo, see ya on Risia after it finishes loading up...

I've never played there.

Lcdr_Swizzle
05-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Notice that the original question has not been answered by a Dev. Why not?

Don't we, the paying customers, deserve an answer so we can prepare?

I understand there is logic for whatever the answer may be, but that's not the point.

Aspenor
05-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Notice that the original question has not been answered by a Dev. Why not?

Don't we, the paying customers, deserve an answer so we can prepare?

I understand there is logic for whatever the answer may be, but that's not the point.

Well just to be difficult...it's not the "devs" job to come here and communicate Turbine's stance on this issue. It's the Community Relations team's job. Developers write code. ;)

Sorry, just was being difficult. Carry on with the thread.

llevenbaxx
05-22-2008, 09:52 AM
That's illogic.

You'd be willing to continue to play if they add a new slot? But you'd rather stop playing than delete a character?!:confused:

Maybe, but I was actually thinking the same thing. I will simply not buy another account...period. At the rate Turbine puts content out, you'd think they'd be doing whatever they can to get people to try this limited amount of content and feel good about doing it. Greedy greedy makes a hungry puppy... or something like that:). They are getting close to the line where imo they just arent doing enough(or in my case the things I want) to keep me interested. They shouldnt be making a good thing like new content be a double edged sword whenever they can help it... takes a little away from the little good imo... making quitting more likily than another account. Just my 2 ep.

I dont think the players with 20 characters on a server should benefit but the players who only have the nine shouldnt have to delete well played characters to try new content.

Scar_Weaver
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
If you were under 1750, I would say yes, but you're not, so...choose carefully.

HighJoe
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Here's my take regarding character slots. The folks playing the European servers have 12 slots (read the news announcement from August 27, 2007 here (http://ddo.tentonhammer.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1195)) for character creation. In the past, the reasoning was they had fewer servers to play on. Well, since the server merger, we here in the US/Australia have fewer servers to play on as well. I never really understood the logic of fewer servers/more slots, more servers/less slots but...

If I have characters on a different server (I don't currently, and doubt I would in the future), those characters have no bearing on the characters located on another server. I can't exchange items (unless I pay to have a character moved, but if I've maxed that servers slots, that can't happen either), I can't party with the same people (unless all those in my guild/friends list created characters on that other server as well), I can't acheive 1750 favor on one server and build 32 point characters on every server after that. I'm sure you see where I'm going.

Turbine, If you're going to give one customer base more character slots (or anything else for that matter), it is only prudent to do so across the board. You may think that we have all forgotten the disconnect between what's available in Europe and what's available here but, trust me, many of us have not. With the release of a new character class, bringing Europe and US/Australian account configurations in to a more uniform standard would be an obvious move, I would think.

I'm not going to tell you to do this. I'm not even going to ask, as I have seen over the past 2+ years of play and forum reading, that what your player base most loudly calls for, usually turns out to be the least heard by your management. I'm simply putting this information back out there so the masses that still hold out hope, can once again refresh their fervor. You may call it trolling; I call it tired of the fight and passing the torch to the younger, less jaded amongst us.

Enjoy!

Lorien_the_First_One
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
The issue (IME) is not storage space but DB speed under load.

Each character has an ID number (ObjectReference) and a row in a table. Each piece of equipment has an ID number and a row in a table. Another table links the character to its equipment using these ID numbers.

As these tables get bigger they get exponentially slower to search.

Adding a new slot to everybody could increase the current search time by 15-20% (as adding ~11% more data).

True, but in a well designed DB active data should be held in a temp table or appropriate indexes should be in place to make data access efficent. I also don't beleive we have a server capacity issue at this point or they would also be stopping people from getting a second account on existing servers and splitting servers.

Razvan
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
With the release of a new character class, bringing Europe and US/Australian account configurations in to a more uniform standard would be an obvious move, I would think.

How would that happen?...Give US servers extra slots, but not the European ones??

HighJoe
05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Simply make it so that US/Australian customers have the same number of available character creation slots as the European customers.

Aspenor
05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Simply make it so that US/Australian customers have the same number of available character creation slots as the European customers.

Different companies, different policies. :(

llevenbaxx
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Different companies, different policies. :(

How come we got stuck with the stingy company?!:)

HighJoe
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Turbine Inc. is the only Turbine. What you might have read of or heard refered to as Turbine Europe is simply a branch or satelite office of Turbine Entertainment Corporation or Turbine Inc. It all comes back to Turbine Inc. Corporate offices located right here in the USA at: 60 Glacier Drive, Suite 4000, Westwood, MA 02090

Same company, I say same rules should apply.

Information regarding Turbine Entertainment Corportion/Turbine Inc. can be found at the Better Business Bureau website here (http://reports.bosbbb.org/Boston/Public/Reports/BrandedReport.aspx?firm=81889).

mgoldb2
05-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Turbine Inc. is the only Turbine. What you might have read of or heard refered to as Turbine Europe is simply a branch or satelite office of Turbine Entertainment Corporation or Turbine Inc. It all comes back to Turbine Inc. Corporate offices located right here in the USA at: 60 Glacier Drive, Suite 4000, Westwood, MA 02090

Same company, I say same rules should apply.

Information regarding Turbine Entertainment Corportion/Turbine Inc. can be found at the Better Business Bureau website here (http://reports.bosbbb.org/Boston/Public/Reports/BrandedReport.aspx?firm=81889).

Turbine the developer but they do not maintain and run the European servers, They chose codemasters to do that so none development related issues such as how many char slots you get is decided by codemasters in Europe while in USA turbine decided to maintain the servers themseleves and make such decisions. Codemasters is not Turbine.

HighJoe
05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Turbine the developer but they do not maintain and run the European servers, They chose codemasters to do that so none development related issues such as how many char slots you get is decided by codemasters in Europe while in USA turbine decided to maintain the servers themseleves and make such decisions. Codemasters is not Turbine.

Turbine didn't just give up control of what goes on there. They simply delegated authority to Codemasters so as to spread the administrative burden. If Turbine tells Codemasters, no, bring your character creation requirements in line with the US servers standard, they WILL comply. But this would be detrimental to business there in Europe and would never happen. The better business decision would be for Turbine to take the lead from Codemasters and bring US server character creation policy in line with the European servers creation policy.

This addresses both the long standing disconnect between what the US/Australian players have access to vice the European players AND the desire amongst the US/Australian player base for more character slots to enable Monk character creation without having to delete an existing character. If one can not see the logic of this, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Vormaerin
05-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Turbine's view is that Americans have 45 slots available to them across 5 servers while the Europeans have 24 slots across two servers, IIRC. Most folks may only play on one server, but they still are providing the infrastructure to support 45 characters per account even if it is not fully utilized.