PDA

View Full Version : Question What is a Hit Die?

Kromize
03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
It's not that I'm oblivious to dnd urles. I know then well. I just never really learned what a Hit die is? What is it and how does it affect my playing?

query
03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
a "hit die" is two things:

The level dice used for an encounter. Quite often it is a "standard monster amount" of a d8 to d10, plus con and feat add on HP's.

The "hit die" also equals level, so a 10 HD monster is like us saying a L 10 hero, but in monsterspeak.

That is NOT a "challenge rating." A creature may have more or less hit dice than the CR or vice versa. The CR is what a PARTY OF SIX should be on average around that CR to tackle a SINGLE (or designated mob or swarm if representing a group) CR encounter.

Cambo
03-27-2008, 09:24 PM
a "hit die" is two things:

The level dice used for an encounter. Quite often it is a "standard monster amount" of a d8 to d10, plus con and feat add on HP's.
The "hit die" also equals level, so a 10 HD monster is like us saying a L 10 hero, but in monsterspeak.That is NOT a "challenge rating." A creature may have more or less hit dice than the CR or vice versa. The CR is what a PARTY OF SIX should be on average around that CR to tackle a SINGLE (or designated mob or swarm if representing a group) CR encounter.

I thought it was a party of 4....
but needless to say HD and CR is not that relevant in DDO (except perhaps to compare mosnters to eachother) as HP are not equal to HD x d10 + feats (Possibly closer if you x 5)
HD is relevant in DDO for things like Saves, spell resistance and resistance to banishing etc I beleive.

Arnya
03-27-2008, 09:26 PM
A party of 4, expending approximately 25% of their resources...

Cambo
03-28-2008, 06:22 AM
ie 25% of 4 = 1 so its a close call for 1 player of the same level..

Of course insta kills change the equation massively.

Angelus_dead
03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
That's what it means in D&D, but in DDO a CR X monster is one that is appropriate for "mook" status against a level X party. Meaning that an individual CR X monster is a threat only if it catches you by surprise and you screw up, while a room full of CR X is a decent battle. In DDO, a lone CR X should use about 1-2% of daily resources.

Emili
03-28-2008, 06:36 AM
In DnD Monster speak but do not confuse it with CR or actual hp in DDO:

Bearded Devil (Barbazu)
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 Dex, +7 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
Attack: Glaive +9 melee (1d10+3 plus infernal wound) or claw +8 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: Glaive +9/+4 melee (1d10+3 plus infernal wound) or 2 claws +8 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with glaive)
Special Attacks: Infernal wound, beard, battle frenzy, summon devil
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/silver or good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, see in darkness, spell resistance 17, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +11, Diplomacy +2, Hide +11, Listen +9, Move Silently +9, Sense Motive +9, Spot +9
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (glaive)
Environment: A lawful evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary, pair, team (3-5), or squad (6-10)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +6

In player character speak... a fighter and pally are lvl x d10 hit dice while a rogue is lvl x d6 hit dice per-say.