PDA

View Full Version : It lives up to its name.

Tyrtaeus
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
I really like DDO so far. Not so much because of any particular gameplay/interface/graphical merits or favorable comparisons with other MMOs I've played. Mostly just because it really "feels" like D&D, to me. I've been a D&D player for a lot of years, and there's a loving nostalgia that goes along with it for me, that no other game ever really replaces, even if I can point to many ways in which the newer systems, concepts, and online implimentations are arguably better or more enjoyable. But this is an MMO which honestly makes me think I'm playing D&D, so it is deserving of the name "Dungeons and Dragons Online" as far as I'm concerned.

I like the DM voice narration, and the sort of scripted richness that goes into every dungeon. It's immersive and dynamic, traits which most other MMOs I've played have lacked. I like feeling like I'm on an adventure, not just grinding my way through a series of rooms full of mobs waiting to be killed. I love the attention to detail in the variety of offerings of D&D races, skills, feats, and spells. Sure, some things have been altered, omitted, or added, but that's just necessary in order to make the system work in a radically different format like this. I consider myself a pretty staunch D&D rules purist, and I don't have a problem with anything that the developers have done here to fit D&D into an MMO system.

I suspect that I will be a paying customer soon. Keep up the good work!

tihocan
03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

Dawnblade
06-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Totally agree. The immersion factor is the best I've seen in any MMORPGs. I'm on my third day into the trail and I have just ordered my copy of the game.

KoboldKiller
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Welcome all. For those that are new if you post your server and alt name/names I am sure there are several people who will help you out in game whether it be with advice, quest running or the occasional bit of plat or equip.

Dawnblade
06-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I noticed that overall people in these forums seem a lot more civilized then a lot of other game forums I've visited. Maybe it's just been a peaceful couple of days

Original
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Dawnblade I noticed in other thread you said you want to rp your pally, Sarlona is the unofficial roleplaying server and should check out the sarlona forum. Also Sarlona is the most newbie friendly with the Lowriders guild. Hope to see you soon on Sarlona... if not good luck and hope you have fun.

moorewr
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Dawnblade I noticed in other thread you said you want to rp your pally, Sarlona is the unofficial roleplaying server and should check out the sarlona forum. Also Sarlona is the most newbie friendly with the Lowriders guild. Hope to see you soon on Sarlona... if not good luck and hope you have fun.

Does this mean Thelanis is the official one?

(I kid, I kid)

Dawnblade
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Cool I'll look into that. I'm currently playing in Thelanis. Is there anything I show know about that server? Is it known for anything?

Original
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry I forgot to respond to OP, your thoughts where the same as mine when I started 2 years ago and I like the game even better now.

tihocan
06-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Cool I'll look into that. I'm currently playing in Thelanis. Is there anything I show know about that server? Is it known for anything?
Just for being the best server :p

KoboldKiller
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Just for being the best server :p

.......Resists.........starting...........server.. ........war.............rolls 18 on will save. Phew it was close, good thing I was on my Pali cuz on my Barb it would have been different.:D

thalion
06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I like feeling like I'm on an adventure, not just grinding my way through a series of rooms full of mobs waiting to be killed.

Now that deserves an extra Quote!

Freeman
06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
.......Resists.........starting...........server.. ........war.............rolls 18 on will save. Phew it was close, good thing I was on my Pali cuz on my Barb it would have been different.:D

Don't worry, he didn't actually mean that Thelanis is the best server. Since the hardware and specs are all the same, the servers are virtually identical. He meant that the best players were on Thelanis :D

Hvymetal
06-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I noticed that overall people in these forums seem a lot more civilized then a lot of other game forums I've visited. Maybe it's just been a peaceful couple of days
No we save all that for the server forums :D (well most of it)

Uska
06-17-2008, 09:08 AM
welcome all newbies if your on khyber or ghallanda would be glad to help you with information or possible running with you and with new guys I usually let you guys lead so you can experince the quest fresh.

DoctorWhofan
06-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Don't worry, he didn't actually mean that Thelanis is the best server. Since the hardware and specs are all the same, the servers are virtually identical. He meant that the best players were on Thelanis :D

:D:D:D:D:D

Welcome all to the game!! Now the ones who chose the correct server -cough Thelanis cough- you can look up me or any of my guildies if you needed help around the game. That's what we do!