PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Permadeath build that ISN'T a WF Sorc/Wiz..

AwakenedAshes
03-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Anyone? :(

Arianrhod
03-13-2008, 07:02 AM
How about a dragonmarked halfling? I expect in permadeath you aren't planning to solo a lot, so what you play should complement what the rest of the group plays. Anything with some kind of healing ability and no glaring flaws (6 con elf, for instance) should work, but kind of need to know what kind of character you want to play, or what the rest of the group is playing to make any relevant suggestions.

Spookykid
03-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Play whatever you want, just create and play the character smart, yea no 6 con elves

Happy_Mappy
03-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Play whatever you want, just create and play the character smart, yea no 6 con elves

No offense, but posts like this are completely worthless and just spam up the boards. Obviously, he should play smart. Obviously, he can play whatever he wants. He's asking for a survivable build, so give him one or don't bother posting.

A build I like at the moment is an elf fighter/wizard 15/1 with dragonmark of shadow line that gives you displacement feat (50% melee/missle weapon miss). The level of wizard lets you select extend, which at 16 will allow your displacements last 3:12. You also get a 2 minute shield, and with a high power item plenty of casts. Shield stacks with anything, and adds 4 ac. I went with dual wielding piercers, mostly rapiers, since elves get bonuses to those. I use some picks too if I find a good one. Its a very survivable build, although not great for soloing since you mostly have to drink pots to heal.

My starting stats were something like 17 str, 16 dex, 14 con, 12 int, 8 wis, 8 cha. I'm 1750 favor and ate a plus one dex tome early on. Note that if you want superior twf, you will either have to eat a plus 3 dex tome, or put points into dex from levelling bonus to hit 19. I'm focusing more on maxxing str and forgetting entirely about finesse. I've been picking feats that increase twf damage, a toughness feat, extend with the wizard level. Skills, maxxing UMD (despite the low cha, with buffs and gear I'll be able to go over 20 eventually), some jump, some spot, and some balance. Intimidate would be useful also.

I don't have a ton of hp (261 at level 11)-but respectable, and with displacement and shield I almost NEVER die. At 11, I have 5 casts of displacement per rest, each lasting 2:12, and you can even cast them on other people. At 16 you can have as many as 7 casts per day I believe. Oh and I out dps just about everyone in my groups since I'm dual wielding a high crit weapon (oversize twf, all the twf feats, focus and spec, imp crit etc---fighter instead of barb so I can get lots of feats).

Desteria
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
A dwarven Cleric High Con build woudl be good in my mind lots of HP, and slef healing, can go a logn way to survability and cleric seam to be fairly safe form the AI...
Casters get every mob in a dungon runnign at them aboout 2 seocdn after they zone in ;)
Tanks are sposed to get every thign mad at them and have to relie on the cleric to keep them up cleric nto payign atention bam dead.
a dwarf celric could start with 18 con easy maby even 20 but i;d go 18, 18 wis, 10 dex, and if 32pt a smatering of other things.

CaptKurt
03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I do not think that any one particular build is better or worse at PD. However you should not go to anything that is too extreme, because you cannot count on your party to have all bases covered. The better PD builds are the more self-sufficient ones and those with a broad range of skills.

Impaqt
03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
IF every permadeather was a WF Arcane or Dwarven cleric they realy wouldnt be al that fun to play now would they?

Permadeath is a Mindset more than a Character build. ANY build can be played permadeath style. Just some you need to be more careful with than others... But that IS the point of Permadeath isnt it? Playing Careful and as a Group rather than Zergin to your hearts content...

Cowdenicus
03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
From my experience, I generally play a dragonmarked halfling ranger.

Self healing, ability to use wands, ability to off tank or range enemies. It makes life great.

My next permadeath character honestly will probably be a halfling rogue/fighter. More of a DPS rogue with the dragonmarks and all. A generalist build to be sure.

Citymorg
03-22-2008, 04:14 AM
One of the great things about Permadeath is that you get to reroll alot. I have played a WF Barbarian, very tough, needs lots of pots, but does very well and a WF Wiz, combat spells + self-healing+immunities are very nice. Other builds I've looked at (and seen effectively used:

Dragonmarked Halfling Fighter
Battlecleric
CC Bards
And any, plain old, high HP/CON/DPS melee type that doesn't take too much damage.

Zuldar
03-22-2008, 05:26 PM
No offense, but posts like this are completely worthless and just spam up the boards. Obviously, he should play smart. Obviously, he can play whatever he wants. He's asking for a survivable build, so give him one or don't bother posting.

A build I like at the moment is an elf fighter/wizard 15/1 with dragonmark of shadow line that gives you displacement feat (50% melee/missle weapon miss). The level of wizard lets you select extend, which at 16 will allow your displacements last 3:12. You also get a 2 minute shield, and with a high power item plenty of casts. Shield stacks with anything, and adds 4 ac. I went with dual wielding piercers, mostly rapiers, since elves get bonuses to those. I use some picks too if I find a good one. Its a very survivable build, although not great for soloing since you mostly have to drink pots to heal.

My starting stats were something like 17 str, 16 dex, 14 con, 12 int, 8 wis, 8 cha. I'm 1750 favor and ate a plus one dex tome early on. Note that if you want superior twf, you will either have to eat a plus 3 dex tome, or put points into dex from levelling bonus to hit 19. I'm focusing more on maxxing str and forgetting entirely about finesse. I've been picking feats that increase twf damage, a toughness feat, extend with the wizard level. Skills, maxxing UMD (despite the low cha, with buffs and gear I'll be able to go over 20 eventually), some jump, some spot, and some balance. Intimidate would be useful also.

I don't have a ton of hp (261 at level 11)-but respectable, and with displacement and shield I almost NEVER die. At 11, I have 5 casts of displacement per rest, each lasting 2:12, and you can even cast them on other people. At 16 you can have as many as 7 casts per day I believe. Oh and I out dps just about everyone in my groups since I'm dual wielding a high crit weapon (oversize twf, all the twf feats, focus and spec, imp crit etc---fighter instead of barb so I can get lots of feats).

I think you may have misconstrued his statement a little bit. He's merely saying that whatever the OP play should be fun, and that skill will matter more then build in the long run. Additionally, a con of 6 would obviously be a detriment to survivability therefore is not recommended.