PDA

View Full Version : Picking locks with zero skill ranks

Thrudh
12-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Does one need any skill in Open Locks in order to open locks? What I mean is, if one has a high Dex, and a +13 Open Lock Item, and +5 Tools, you can get your skill pretty high. But does the game require you to have at least one rank in Open Locks to even attempt to open a lock?

After all, you can't Tumble no matter how high your Dex or Tumble item is, unless you have at least one rank in Tumble.

GrayOldDruid
12-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Does one need any skill in Open Locks in order to open locks? What I mean is, if one has a high Dex, and a +13 Open Lock Item, and +5 Tools, you can get your skill pretty high. But does the game require you to have at least one rank in Open Locks to even attempt to open a lock?

After all, you can't Tumble no matter how high your Dex or Tumble item is, unless you have at least one rank in Tumble.

Any skill that has n/a on it, has to have at least one rank spent in it in order to be used. (which, Open Lock is a n/a skill, along with Disable Device, etc.)

dragnmoon
12-20-2007, 08:52 AM

Yes you need points in Open Locks skill to be able to Open locks, same with Disable and perform (though that skill is really only usefull for bards)

With Tumble, You could not have any points in it and get the Tumble spell cast on you and be able to tumble

Thrudh
12-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Any skill that has n/a on it, has to have at least one rank spent in it in order to be used. (which, Open Lock is a n/a skill, along with Disable Device, etc.)

Thanks for the reply...

My ranger just hit a 30 dex... I was in a group with no rogue, and we had to leave behind a locked chest...

Guess I'll be spending 2 skill points next level... I should be able to get to a 32 or so Open Lock skill even with only one rank by 14th level... that's not too bad for 2 skill points!

Blind_Skwerl
12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Actually, if you have a luck bonus (rabbit gloves, etc.) and then get the tumble spell cast on you, you can tumble. Learned this doing Stormreaver runs on my bard. Zero ranks in tumble, but there I was, rolling around. :)

If you have a 30 dex and have put 1 rank into open lock, I think you'd be at +11 to open locks (+10 dex bonus +1 rank). Not positive on this. Add in +5 tools (for a +7 bonus) and a +13 OL item, and you'd be at +31... not too bad I think.

captain1z
12-25-2007, 09:25 PM
My pali12/fighter2 gets tumble for the reaver I have 0 ranks in tumbling and 18 DEX and I am able to do those side-long dives that you get after reaching 30-32 pts of tumble.

Rogues however with 1 point in Disable Device total with:

Luck bonus +1
30 Dex +10 (is it Dex or Int just switch it if wrong..this is only an example)
Gear +13
+5 tools +7
G. Hero +4
Prayer +1
Misc. +3
Rank +1

total bonus +40

That being said with only 1 rank of skill you will blow every trap in a 2nd level or lower quest 50% of the time and Blow every trap in a 3rd level or higher quest every time. Your skill ranks are checked VS. the level of the trap if they fall short you will need a higher number on the die roll (usually around 10-15) even if your total bonuses are more than the traps difficulty, even if you would normally succeed on a roll of a 2. The rank vs trap level threshhold is about 2pts above that you could have a +40 bonus roll an 18 on the die vs. a trap with a difficulty of 25 and a level of 4 and it will blow up every single time.

In the same way search is not a die roll it is a skill rank comparison of skill vs difficulty ..... the numbers need to be skill > difficulty or you wont find it nor will you have a chance to find it in 100 search skill uses.

Bottom line = if you dont have levels of rogue and havent been building up rogue skills since level 1 dont take them near level cap or even mid-way and expect to do well.

Unless you just wanna take lockpicking skills... those you can try repeatedly with little to no repercussion.... its a die roll +skill and usually pretty low. Your ranger in your sig is a ranger wizard and cannot place points in Open Locks until you become a

Ranger7/wizard2/rogue1

Impaqt
12-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I may be stating the obvious, but in order to take Open Lock or disable device as a skill you must have at least one level of rogue. You cannot put points i nto it unless you have had trainign as a rogue.

Aesop
12-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I know its not important but I'd like to see Perform become an active skill that lets you actually play something when you click it... the tune can become more complex with more ranks in perform... then again I'd really like to see different instruments become available to play as well... When monk shows his face finally I want mine to play a flute dang it :D... just to play a flute... maybe the song Voices from Macross... I love that song

Aesop

Geonis
12-25-2007, 10:36 PM
I may be stating the obvious, but in order to take Open Lock or disable device as a skill you must have at least one level of rogue. You cannot put points i nto it unless you have had trainign as a rogue.

Completely incorrect.

Any character should be able to put skill points into any skill, you just don't have the same maximum.

Max ranks = (level + 3) for class skills.

Max ranks = (level + 3)/2 for "cross class" skills.

captain1z
12-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Completely incorrect.

Any character should be able to put skill points into any skill, you just don't have the same maximum.

Not In DDO ...you need the class

Lithic
12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Completely incorrect.

In pen and paper DnD yes.

In DDO, no. You MUST have a level of rogue to choose open locks and disable device, just like you must have one level of bard to put points into perform.

Geonis
12-25-2007, 11:00 PM
In pen and paper DnD yes.

In DDO, no. You MUST have a level of rogue to choose open locks and disable device, just like you must have one level of bard to put points into perform.

Odd, I have never tried, but I figured since they did let you put ranks in UMD without a class that gets it as a class skill, then everything else would work too.

Impaqt
12-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Completely incorrect.

99% Certain that OL is just Like DD and Perform. It doesnt even show up iny our skill list unless you have the appropriet class....