PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Wizzy

teddok
09-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Ok I saw that some one was asking for a Fighting mage. I thought that this would be a good build. I made this one up a while ago. Let me know what you all think of it.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 14 Chaotic Good Warforged Male
(2 Fighter \ 12 Wizard)
Hit Points: 165
Spell Points: 901
BAB: 8\8\13
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 4
Will: 8

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 16 18
Dexterity 11 11
Constitution 15 18
Intelligence 16 22
Wisdom 10 10
Charisma 6 6

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 1
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 14

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 2 8.5
Bluff -2 -2
Concentration 5 22.5
Diplomacy -2 -2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -2
Heal 0 0
Hide 0 0
Intimidate -2 -2
Jump 7 15
Listen 0 0
Move Silently 0 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 7 23
Search 3 6
Spot 2 8
Swim 3 4
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Notable Equipment
Helm: Clever Crown

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
Enhancement: Warforged Construct Thinking I

Level 2 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction I
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I

Level 3 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction
Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation I
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I

Level 4 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I

Level 5 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation II
Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting I

Level 6 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction II

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I

Level 8 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II

Level 9 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction
Enhancement: Wizard Improved Heighten I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II

Level 10 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting II

Level 11 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction III

Level 12 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III

Level 13 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting III

Level 14 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III

Rentz
09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
i would go a 2hander instead of a khopesh...

wizzy_catt
09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Wiz/fighter/rogue
10 str 16 or 18(preferred) dex 16 int and rest go to con
str 10 + 6 item + 2 tome = 18 str
dex 18 + 6 item +2 tome +3 lvling +3 enhancement = 32 dex
int 16 + 6 item +2 tome +2 enhancement = 26int
start out as a rogue for more skill points.
10 or 12 lvs of wizard - buffs, cc
1 or 2 lvs of fighter - armor bonus, crits, and bab.
1 or 2 lvs of rogue-sneak attack (lv2 evasion)
use light armor to minimize arcane failure

my reason is that since you need spells and dont want like 35% arcane failure you should go dex build.
drop subtle spellcasting. its junk

Sadus
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Why do people even bother with this kinda **** :P Your BAB is so low you can't even get Improved Critcial... you can't cast while using Tenser's... if you want to be a "battle caster".. make a Battle Cleric... they can use Divine Power... get full BAB, have a decent AC, self-heal, and still have access to their entire spell inventory.... and if your not using Tenser's then *** are you doing meleeing :P

If you don't want to go the cleric route... go Bard at least then you'd be doing something for the group via songs, buffs, secondary healing, etc.. Then you can still self blue, displace, haste, CC, etc...

No offense to you personally... but when I see any Wizards or Sorcs with melee levels "gimp" is what screams in my mind...

oronisi
09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Why do people even bother with this kinda **** :P Your BAB is so low you can't even get Improved Critcial... you can't cast while using Tenser's... if you want to be a "battle caster".. make a Battle Cleric... they can use Divine Power... get full BAB, have a decent AC, self-heal, and still have access to their entire spell inventory.... and if your not using Tenser's then *** are you doing meleeing :P

If you don't want to go the cleric route... go Bard at least then you'd be doing something for the group via songs, buffs, secondary healing, etc.. Then you can still self blue, displace, haste, CC, etc...

No offense to you personally... but when I see any Wizards or Sorcs with melee levels "gimp" is what screams in my mind...

I have to agree. With high-level cleric spells ingame, you can really pour on the distruction with a cleric. WF battleclerics can use an arsenal of weapons, including greatswords, have good AC, BaB, HP, 0% spell failure even with a shield, instant death spells that work as good as a wizard's, etc.

So you don't get firewall or cloudkill, and your self-heals do 150 - 200 instead of 230-300.

Dariun
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM

When I see builds like that I think "that must be fun to play!"

I play a pure wizard but my friend has a wizard with a lvl of ranger, and when we are playing our usual group of 3 or 4 players, his battle wizard is often more useful than mine. If you are not totally focused on playing end game elite content, there are a lot of interesting builds that can be a blast to play.

No offense to you personally... but when I see people who think this "game" is all about efficiency and maximized builds my mind screams "egad! if they work so hard at DDO, what do these people do for fun!"

Aspenor
09-13-2007, 05:08 PM

I know several fighter/wizards that would make you eat those words. Pwnage.

Sadus
09-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I know several fighter/wizards that would make you eat those words. Pwnage.

I'll run head to head with them anytime..... any quest :)

Sadus
09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
When I see builds like that I think "that must be fun to play!"

I play a pure wizard but my friend has a wizard with a lvl of ranger, and when we are playing our usual group of 3 or 4 players, his battle wizard is often more useful than mine. If you are not totally focused on playing end game elite content, there are a lot of interesting builds that can be a blast to play.

No offense to you personally... but when I see people who think this "game" is all about efficiency and maximized builds my mind screams "egad! if they work so hard at DDO, what do these people do for fun!"

I actually find this fine :) The problem is that the vast majority of players I meet in PUGs want you to take them seriously... after they've needed to be rezzed the 4th time... and get mad at the cleric... for not keeping them healed....

I'm like... well if you didn't have a tissue paper toon... maybe they cleric could keep you alive...

Rentz
09-13-2007, 07:32 PM
hey sadus,

next time you're looking to fill a melee spot on Khyber, look for me on Kinlore.

9(10 soon) sorcerer/2 rogue/2 paladin

i haven't maxed him out with +6 items yet, and he doesn't have sorc charisma III yet.

200hp (ending at 223 before false life spell, grtr hero, and divine power)
1050 sp (ending at 1138)
30 base damage with power attack on
30 to-hit with power attack on and divine power clicky active (I have 42 charges of them)
38 ac while twohanding
maximized firewalls and scorching ray with 40% enhancements and superior potancy + lore
27+ saves
evasion
search, open lock, disable device into the 30's (enough for running most quests on normal without fail)
UMD into the 30's/can rez

stoneskin, false life, fw, scorch, displace, blur, haste, resists, rage, jump, etc etc
greater bane 2handers for just about everything

he makes a great off-tank/general melee'r/backup caster/backup rezer/light rogue. got something to wear to every occasion :)

anyways, outfitted and played properly these toons can be pretty potent and a lot of fun.

wizzy_catt
09-13-2007, 07:56 PM

EXCUSE ME?? your post may contain stuff thats against posting rules. your post shall be ignored and should be reported for further investigation.
i see nothing wrong with battle wizards. with 1 toolbar full of divine power clickys, that gets us full bab and in fight we get extra spell advantage.

Sadus
09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
EXCUSE ME?? your post may contain stuff thats against posting rules. your post shall be ignored and should be reported for further investigation.
i see nothing wrong with battle wizards. with 1 toolbar full of divine power clickys, that gets us full bab and in fight we get extra spell advantage.

As you wish ^^

teddok
09-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow everyone. I am sorry this forum turned into a flame war.
Now I post a lot of build and I love the the critizim, the advise and help. It realy helps me to make better build, but I will not put up with out right BS like this.

Out right attack like this are unacceptable, they are plain rude and arragant.
Know I will ask you to post any advice or thoughts u may have in a custrctive way. Please and Thank you.

Staedtler
09-15-2007, 03:42 AM

Okay, let's list the misconceptions and errors with this post.
Taking 1 fighter level, 12 wizard and then 1 more fighter level at 14 lets you get imp. crit Clerics don't get full BAB. They have BAB 10 at level 14 Battle wizards are just fine in the AC department when wearing full plate. Mine runs around with 46 AC two-handing and 15% spell failure. Tenser's is not needed to be effective in melee. In fact, I rarely use it. +32 to hit and +31 to damage seem to work out just fine by themselves.

Maybe you've just played with terrible fighting wizards. On Khyber, look up Meoz or Mehlee to see what this build is capable of.

As for this build: take the above advice and go with fighter at 14 for improved crit.

CaptGrim
09-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Bottom line is Saddus has never run with a good battle mage, No one in any of the grps I've run in, PuG or not, would say that....

Anyways to the main point, your build is close to mine with a few thing you should do differently...

Here's mine(WF also)...the only thing I would like changed is better reflex saves...but concessions must be made

17 str +1tome +3 lvls +1 fighter enhance +6 = 28, 30 while raged and 32 with +3 tome
8 dex
16 con +2 tome +2 WF enhance +6 item =26
16 int +1 tome +3 enhancements +6 item =26
9 wis +1 tome +4 or 6 item (you could do the same but with dex for reflex instead or will saves)
6 cha...dumped

1-wiz extend, toughness
2-fgt WF slashing
3-wiz toughness
4-wiz
5-wiz
6-wiz MT, empower
7-wiz
8-wiz
9-wiz toughness
10-wiz
11-wiz Maximize
12-wiz Power attack(go with toughness until you hit 14 and have the 10 hp from GH)
13 wiz
14 fgt- imp crit slashing

A/c sucks and is intended to, run SS and displacement(at least blur) all the time, buy SS scrolls as soon as you can make a caster check on them...the first few lvls can be tough with low hp and ac, and no good magical defence.

Oh BTW tensers is not needed at all there are times in elite GH that you may toggle P/A off or for a select few bosses and mobs, but with a GH and a +5 and a rage your at +24 with P/A on +29 without it. When Its turned off I have no trouble hitting ANYTHING in the game. you could roll with Divine power clickies but I find it unnecessary, and a pain in the ass

wizzy_catt
09-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Maybe you've just played with terrible fighting wizards. On Khyber, look up Meoz or Mehlee to see what this build is capable of.
ha meoz you weirdo! lets kill mobs with vico spirit!

Blind_Skwerl
09-16-2007, 04:53 AM
I think a battlemage is harder to run well and maybe more gear dependant (divine power clickies, etc.). I have partied with two that were great. Besides keeping haste up, they were offering the occasional buffs and bringing some decent melee and casting dps to the party. Unfortunately, I have also partied with countless less-than-impressive battlemages. A battlemage isn't for everybody, and certainly shouldn't be for about 75% of the people that are running them.

Xyfiel
09-16-2007, 05:36 AM
I have a drow rogue3/wiz11 battlemage, you don't need fighter levels.

I play backup tank, healer, caster, and primary rogue. All 4 core classes in one, depending on the quest and party makeup.

With a few minor exceptions, dual wielding w/p in a ck or going dps in a maximized firewall kills everything in the game quickly. If you can get you other dps to go w/p also, it is just unfair.

Aspenor
09-16-2007, 09:56 AM
I think a battlemage is harder to run well and maybe more gear dependant (divine power clickies, etc.). I have partied with two that were great. Besides keeping haste up, they were offering the occasional buffs and bringing some decent melee and casting dps to the party. Unfortunately, I have also partied with countless less-than-impressive battlemages. A battlemage isn't for everybody, and certainly shouldn't be for about 75% of the people that are running them.

Very true. Some people don't know how to take care of a high-maintenance character.

CaptGrim
09-16-2007, 11:06 PM

I agree 100%, I would bump that percentage to 90%, but whatever.

I don't think its gear dependant,(mine was still effective before the raid loot, but is just a monster now) so much as game mechanics knowledge dependant. I've played a capped caster, and a capped fighter. With knowledge of playing both classes well and how I like to play(or zerg). I then built the things that are best from both classes into one build.

I have a battle cleric as well but none of my toons are nearly as fun to play as my battlemage.

Blind_Skwerl
09-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Closest I have is a 12wiz/2rogue . Lots of fun actually, but he does require alot of buffs and prep.

EoZ
12-11-2007, 10:00 AM
hey sadus,

next time you're looking to fill a melee spot on Khyber, look for me on Kinlore.

9(10 soon) sorcerer/2 rogue/2 paladin

i haven't maxed him out with +6 items yet, and he doesn't have sorc charisma III yet.

200hp (ending at 223 before false life spell, grtr hero, and divine power)
1050 sp (ending at 1138)
30 base damage with power attack on
30 to-hit with power attack on and divine power clicky active (I have 42 charges of them)
38 ac while twohanding
maximized firewalls and scorching ray with 40% enhancements and superior potancy + lore
27+ saves
evasion
search, open lock, disable device into the 30's (enough for running most quests on normal without fail)
UMD into the 30's/can rez

stoneskin, false life, fw, scorch, displace, blur, haste, resists, rage, jump, etc etc
greater bane 2handers for just about everything

he makes a great off-tank/general melee'r/backup caster/backup rezer/light rogue. got something to wear to every occasion :)

anyways, outfitted and played properly these toons can be pretty potent and a lot of fun.

42 charges of divine power?! 10 charges (2 clicky) is enough.
and yeah, that kind of toon is the best allied in a party... my bro did one on an elf (can rez, use heal scrolls, keep haste, fwall, unkillable (saves+evasion), keep mobs cursed+destruct...all that on a decent AC...unlock...disable....too many things to list) also a great pvper
his nickname is Tukaq on Khyber

EoZ
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM

My fighter1/wizard13 STR based wizard.
277hp unbuffed (350+buffed) (+13greaterhero+20falselife+7divinepower+tons from all rage)
28str+22dex+22cons+24int+14wis+6cha (unbuffed)
all feats for pvp (maximize+quicken+empower+heighten)
full fire-ice specced.
feats for fighting mode (power attack+combat expertise)
want to know more about it? peonzer arobas hotmail dot com

When fighting in pvp, I have ALL wizard buffs on a 48AC(not maxed yet)
Normal fighter as 99% of the melee player don't even have a true seeing clicky or dq goggle. So already GG.
And if you beat me? fball in teh face! the worst is being pwned both way.
btw, I saw one melee bard who won against that build (Quicktoez), too high AC.
And still no clerics (with the non-healing rule ofcourse, or it means fball)

Fighters need many gear, wizards need nothing, they got greater hero! true seeing! stoneskin! etc.
so no need to get planar or dq loots to have an advantage.

Come! You'll see.

Meoz: 1fgt/13wiz
EoZ: 12fgt/2barb
Yeoz: 6fgt/5pal/3rog
Heoz: clerics going (lvl10 atm)