PDA

View Full Version : Ac

BrettVe
08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
What is the most AC that the average fighter can expect? Also how can he get it?

I assume mitheral plate is the best bet, with a mitheral tower shield? or is there better armor to use? Also what is the dex bonus of mitheral? What kind of armor can you get with dragon scales?

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Those are the best items to start with. A Fighter with +5 Mithral FP (max DEX +3) and +5 Mithral Tower Shield (max DEX +4) can get enhancements Fighter's Armor Mastery II and Tower Shield Mastery I to increase to max DEX +5 (20 DEX).

10 Base
13 Armor
05 Dex
09 Shield
37 AC from Armor/Shield

You can go higher than that with other bonus types. Misc Armor for Paladin Aura, Natural Armor from item/Barkskin spell, Deflection Bonus from Protection items/Shield of Faith spell, Feat Bonus from Combat Expertise/Dodge feats, Dodge Bonus from named items, etc.

Syrbryce
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
There's a definitive AC thread somewhere in the user-written guides. It will show you the best AC you can get but for the average first toon fighter this is what you can expect using pretty readily available equipment.

10 - Base
13 - +5 Full Plate
7 - +5 Shield
3 - Barkskin Potion
3 - Shield of Faith Potion or +3 Protection Item
3 - Dexterity Mod with 2 enhancements of Fighter Armor Mastery(16 dex)
1 - Dodge Feat
40 for the average fighter with average equipment

A couple of easy additions are:
5 - Combat Expertise Feat - for tactical builds
2 - Defensive Fighting activated (note can't do CE at same time)
4 - Paladin Aura's - just gotta stay close to them =)
2 (5) - Ranger's Barkskin spell
1 (4) - Cleric's Shield of Faith Spell

So if you could get around 50 if you were partying with a Pally and his ranger buddy and you took the Combat Expertise feat.

Delzon
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Since there is nothing else for me to do in this game right now I'll help out.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=115491

There is also another thread that is older and may be out of date, but I went and found that one for you too.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=30186

Sojourner
08-27-2007, 01:13 PM
What is the most AC that the average fighter can expect? Also how can he get it?

I assume mitheral plate is the best bet, with a mitheral tower shield? or is there better armor to use? Also what is the dex bonus of mitheral? What kind of armor can you get with dragon scales?

If you have a good dex, +5 Mithril Fullplate would probably be the best for a fighter. But - It is also extremely rare to drop and insanely expensive on auction/forum trades.

For mithiril - whatever the max dex bonus is normally for a type of armor, mithril adds 2. For more dex bonus in your AC you start taking fighter/dwarven enhancements.

White dragon fullplate is the equivalent to regular fullplate except that it is +6. It also has moderate fort and protection+4 built into it. However, moderate fort isn't good enough for a front-line fighter, you want heavy fort.

And, if you have a protection+4 item in your goggle slot you're choosing between freeing up a goggle slot and getting an extra +1 armor in exchange for losing almost all of your possible DEX bonuses to armor.

Dragon scale plate armor is good for average AC fighters. You're not going to be able to get anywhere near the max AC with it. But, if you have average AC, you may be able to get an extra point or two and free up a slot.

for the average first toon fighter this is what you can expect using pretty readily available equipment.

10 - Base
13 - +5 Full Plate
7 - +5 Shield
3 - Barkskin Potion
3 - Shield of Faith Potion or +3 Protection Item
3 - Dexterity Mod with 2 enhancements of Fighter Armor Mastery(16 dex)
1 - Dodge Feat
40 for the average fighter with average equipment

A couple of easy additions are:
5 - Combat Expertise Feat - for tactical builds
2 - Defensive Fighting activated (note can't do CE at same time)
4 - Paladin Aura's - just gotta stay close to them =)
2 (5) - Ranger's Barkskin spell
1 (4) - Cleric's Shield of Faith Spell

So if you could get around 50 if you were partying with a Pally and his ranger buddy and you took the Combat Expertise feat.

I would also add that if you're going for high AC, you could swap in a tower shield instead of a regular shield for another 2 AC.

And, protection +4 items aren't terribly hard to come by. Bracer's from Delerra's if your chaotic is an easy one. If not you can try to get some people to run Threnal for the optics (protection+3, reflexsave+4) for an extra reflex save and then you don't have to worry about SoF potions.

BrettVe
08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Ok so let me give this a go.

Drow 11 fighter/3 paladin

14 Starting Dex
+6 Dex Item
+2 Race Enhancement
22 Total Dex

Armor Class
Base 10
Armor 14 (Mitheral Full Plate)
Shield 9 (Mitheral Tower Shield)
Dex 6 (armor mastery 3)(tower mastery 2)
Item: Seal of Earth 3
"of Protection" Item 5
Feat: Dodge 1
Feat: Combat Expertise 3
Item: Chattering Ring 3 from Titan Chest
Item: "Of Parrying" 1
Paladin's Aura of Good 2
Action Boost 5

62 Total AC
64 AC when around a Level 11 Paladin

How does this sound? Can I use all of those items at the same time? I am only interested in items or effects that I can have on 90% of the time and that I do not need to buy.

PurdueDave
08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty sure CE gives +5 AC/-5 to hit. You might be thinking of NWN2.

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Armor 13 (Mithral Full Plate) (-1 net decrease)
Feat: Combat Expertise 3

How does this sound? Can I use all of those items at the same time? I am only interested in items or effects that I can have on 90% of the time and that I do not need to buy.Feat: Combat Expertise 5 (not 3, for +2 net increase)
Item: Chaosgardes 2 (Xorian Cipher named bracers)

65 Total AC
67 AC when around a level 11 Paladin

BrettVe
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Feat: Combat Expertise 5 (not 3, for +2 net increase)
Item: Chaosgardes 2 (Xorian Cipher named bracers)

65 Total AC
67 AC when around a level 11 Paladin

Ok 65 with the correction on CE.

But shouldn't it be 67 with the Chaos Guarde?

Also now I must be Lawful alignment correct?

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok 65 with the correction on CE.

But shouldn't it be 67 with the Chaos Guarde?

Also now I must be Lawful alignment correct?You had 62 AC. I added 2 changes and 1 new item for: -1 +2 +2 = +3 net change = 65 AC. And yes, you are already Lawful alignment because you are part Paladin. :)

oogly54
08-28-2007, 10:02 AM
- FP give 13 not 14
- Tower shield essentially only give you +1 to ac if you have a 22 DEX (+2 armor, 1 less possible dex)

10 base
+13, +5 Mithral Fullplate (Armor)
+7, +5 Heavy Shield (Shield)
+7, Dex Bonus (24 dex) (+1 Fp, +1 mithral, +3 FAM, +2 DAM)
+5, Ranger Barkskin (Natural) +3 with pots or seal
+5, Protection Item. (Deflection)
+1, Dodge Feat (Dodge)
+3, Chattering Ring (Dodge)
+2, Chaosgarde (Dodge)
+5, Combat Expertise (Dodge)
+1, Haste (Dodge)
+1, Parrying (Insight)
+2, Recitation (Luck)
+4, Paladin Aura (Misc)

66 AC (62 without another pally or ranger)

Because you are using Combat Expertise (-5 to attack) I would recommend not using a tower shield to keep the +2 to attack bonus. I also recommend using the Seal of Earth only for stone skin and using barkskin pots. Available spots will become difficult. This is how I have my fighter set up.

Sandstorm Googles (true seeing/blindness ward)
Relic helm (+5 will save, +2 WIS)
+6 Con necklace
+5 Protection Cloak (switch to resist cloak in beholder room/cleric area)
Belt of Brute STR (+6 STR Greater False life)
+6 Dex Gloves
Chattering Ring
Disease immunity/ Heavy Fort Ring
30% Striding boots OR Madstone Boots
+5 mithral heavy shield
Bloodstone/Bat/head (switch to head of good fortune in beholder room/cleric area)

blakbyrd
08-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I am in the process of an AC/Saves build experiment myself, but I am not using any guide to determine it from, so take this for what it is worth to you.

My build is now and will be completely Paladin, with no multiclassing. Good or bad for my efforts I dont know, I just want my char to be all Paladin. I am also using an Elf, which takes a little away from the end line of AC when I am capped, whereas a Dwarf could probably obtain slightly higher.

I do not have mithral full plate or mithral tower shield yet, so I cannot fully maximize my AC potential right now.

At level 11, I can currently achieve a 54 AC on my own without help from anyone else, and saves of 27/21/24.

I am going from memory here so I may forget or leave out some things but this is what I have done thus far in making my character and the items I use:

Items:
+5 Adamantine Full Plate
+5 Adamantine Tower Shield
+4 Protection Necklace
Chaosgarde
+5 Charisma Cloak
Heavy Fortification Ring
+5 Strength Gloves
+4 Wisdom Helmet
Kardin's Eye (+5 Saves Trinket)
Trapblast Goggles (negated by trinket at this point)
Parrying Weapon (I never use it but it gets me from 53 to 54 AC)
Planar Gird (Greater Herosim Clickie, no real AC help)
Spell Resistance 19 Belt

Abilities and such:
12 DEX for +1 AC in full plate
20 Charisma for extra help in saves
18 Wisdom (will save bonus and mana)
Defensive Stance (clickable ability, +2 to AC when active)
Pally AC Aura
Pally AC Boost (+5 AC for 20 seconds)
Barkskin (+3) Potions
Haste Potions (+1 to AC)

With some buffs from other players I can get a little higher in AC right now (55 or 56 I guess, I havent tested it, as my build is to see how high I can get it on my own).

My actual stats (including items) I think is as follows:
STR: 22
DEX: 12
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 18
CHA: 20

HP: 181 (+31 with Virtue and Greater Heroism)
Mana: 191

I am not full of alot of HP, but I do not get hit all that much right now (Elite GH of cuorse will negate that). I usually only get hit on criticals and finally being able to use my Heavy Fortification Ring has negated most of that. Even though I have high saves and Spell Resistance 19, I can still be hammered by spells. In most quests so far, I can maintain my HPs at 95-100% full by keeping Virtue on myself, except when I run into casters which can really really hurt (especially those searing light casting drow). My mana however allows me to maintain all my own Resistance buffs so elemental damage is minimal. This build has allowed me to solo alot of things I simply cannt do with my other characters or my capped out fighter (although thats not a fair comparison since she is capped out and overloaded with high end equipment, and I never bother soloing with her really).

Again this is just my build as I go, seeing what I can create from my own knowledge, experience and available items. I am sure I could probably do a little better if I followed some guides, but I dont like min/max stat style characters, and instead prefer to be able to cover other roles when necessary so I build accordingly.

Oh, and my Pally is also a 32 point build.

I am however always on the lookout for someone wanting to sell or trade off a suit of +5 Mithral FP and a +5 Mithral Tower Shield :)

Aeneas
08-28-2007, 11:59 AM
This thread looks on track to me. And with your AC in the mid 50's you should be A-OK.

P.S. the highest possible AC is on a dwarven rogue with the right items. Namely daggertooth belt, chattering ring, chaosguarde, kundarak delving suit, and the seal of earth with a +5 protection item. (I've heard +6's exist rr, but have still never seen one)

BrettVe
08-28-2007, 04:51 PM
This thread looks on track to me. And with your AC in the mid 50's you should be A-OK.

P.S. the highest possible AC is on a dwarven rogue with the right items. Namely daggertooth belt, chattering ring, chaosguarde, kundarak delving suit, and the seal of earth with a +5 protection item. (I've heard +6's exist rr, but have still never seen one)

Why dwarf? And why rogue? Are you counting uncanny dodge?

Dworkin_of_Amber
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
It's actually higher than that.
Halfing gives +1 over all the others, due to the Size Bonus, but let's avoid that.

Assume a Dwarf 11 Fighter/3 Paladin w/ Fighter's Armor Mastery 2, Dwarven Armor Mastery 2, Fighter's Tower Shield Mastery 3, & Bulwark of Good 1

Start with "Standing AC" - ie, no Buffs, no Stance, no Timed Anything... then we will add the Stances & Self-Buffs, then the party-buffs:

-----------------------
10 - Base
13 - +5 Mithral Full Plate (Armor) w/ FAM 2 & DAM 2
7 - Dexterity
9 - +5 Mithral Tower Shield (Shield) w/ FTSM 3
5 - Protection +5 Item (Deflection)
3 - Seal of the Earth (Natural) - Demon Queen Loot
1 - Dodge Feat (Dodge)
2 - Chaosguarde (Dodge)
3 - Chattering Ring (Dodge) - Titan Loot
1 - "Of Parrying" Item (Insight)
1 - Paladin Aura (Misc)
1 - Bulwark of Good (Misc)
-----------------------
56 AC Standing
-----------------------
5 - Combat Expertise (Dodge)
1 - Haste Potion (Dodge)
5 - Fighter AC Boost 4
-----------------------
67 AC Self-Buffed & Stanced
-----------------------
2 - Ranger's Barkskin (Natural) - Increase over Seal of the Earth
1 - Halfling Hero's Companion (???)
2 - Recitation (Luck)
1 - Paladin 11+ Aura (Misc)
-----------------------
73 AC with Buffs.

Human ends up about 1 AC behind, taking FAM 3 and loosing DAM, but does allow for Human Versatility 4 instead of Fighter AC Boost 4, so the boosts are more useful.

Halfling should end up about the same as the Dwarf, as they also go to FAM 3, loosing DAM (-1 AC), but get the Halfling Size Bonus (+1 AC), for 73 AC as well

Other Classes:
-----------------------
Human Ranger or Rogue: 70 AC Max
20 Dex + 3 Levels + 2 Race + 3 Class + 3 Tome + 6 Item = 37 (+13)
+7 Armor Item
+5 Heavy Mithral Shield
+All other items above
= 71 AC

ccheath776
08-29-2007, 04:34 PM

I would say a good sword and board is between 40 - 45
Possible in a number of combinations.

Just remember after about level 12 quests, ac becomes less important because no matter what your ac is, most if not all mobs can hit you. Just keep that in mind.

Harbinder
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Just remember after about level 12 quests, ac becomes less important because no matter what your ac is, most if not all mobs can hit you. Just keep that in mind.
This is nosense. AC is still important as ever at level 14.

ccheath776
08-29-2007, 04:54 PM

I said less important. Still a major thing to have but I have seen people run into madstone or crucible with 50+ ac and still get hit. And casters cast massive spells and other things.

Important at higher levels yes but as the Mob BAB's keep going up eventually no matter what AC you have your gonna get smacked around. Thats all I meant.

bandyman1
08-29-2007, 04:54 PM

QFT

Edit: But you will need a 50+ AC ( 50 AC = hit roughly 50% of the time ) to be effective in GH elite.

Borror0
08-29-2007, 05:05 PM
QFT

Edit: But you will need a 50+ AC ( 50 AC = hit roughly 50% of the time ) to be effective in GH elite.

Well, at 45 you still see a difference, but less than at 50+.

BrettVe
08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I was told that dwarven armor mastery, and fighter armor mastery cannot be taken together. Is that correct?

Snike
08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Racial and Class Passive Enhancements stack.

Class and Class do not. In the event you have multiple of the same type of enhancement from multiclassing.

Mad_Bombardier
08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I was told that dwarven armor mastery, and fighter armor mastery cannot be taken together. Is that correct?No, that is not correct. Dwarven AM is a racial enhancement and stacks with Fighter AM which is a class enhancment.

Dworkin_of_Amber
08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Remember
1) Class Enhancements Stack with Racial Enhancements
2) Enhancements Stack with Feats
3) Enhancements and Feats Stack with Items

Examples:
1) Dwarf CON & Barb CON - STACK
1) Dwarf Armor Mastery & Fighter Armor Mastery - STACK
2) Extra Turning Enhancement & Extra Turning Feat
2) Spell Penetration Enhancement & Spell Penetration Feat - STACK
3) Critical Accuracy Enhancement & Power Critical Feat & Bloodstone Item - STACK
3) Cleric's Life Magic Enhancement & Devotion or Potency Item - STACK

Remember:
4) Items Don't Stack with Other Items
5) Feats Usually Stack with Other Feats
6) Enhancements of the Same Source Don't Stack with Enhancements of the Same Source

Examples:
4) Potency & Magnetism - DO NOT STACK
4) Bloodstone & Seeker Item - DO NOT STACK
5) Spell Focus Feat & Greater Spell Focus Feat - STACK
5) Weapon Focus & Greater Weapon Focus - STACK
6) Rogue Dex & Ranger Dex - DO NOT STACK
6) Rogue Search & Ranger Search - DO NOT STACK