PDA

View Full Version : Newb Skills Queries

Khurse
08-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi all

OK, little confised by how some of these skills work

For skills like search- is this a "one time' sort of skill? ie if I know there's a secret door in a certain location, and my search doesn't find it, can I keep trying until I do? Obviously some will be to high DC;s for my search to find, but at lower lvls would this work?

For skills like UMD, if I have (for example) armor wearable only by a dwarf with a DC of 10, my human has a UMD of 8, can I use the enhancement that lets me have a + 2 to all skill rolls for x amount of time to reach 10 and equip the armour?

Is there any way to "fail" skills checks that are automatic? Kinda just abusing the system but (for example) while soloing I've died within sight of a ressurection temple, if I die I can resurrect with no XP hit, but my bleeding stops at -5 hp, so I have no choice but to let myself die and ressurect in the tavern with the XP hit. Any way to let myself fail this? (I assume it's a heal skill)

As always thanks for any help!

KaKa
08-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi all

OK, little confised by how some of these skills work

For skills like search- is this a "one time' sort of skill? ie if I know there's a secret door in a certain location, and my search doesn't find it, can I keep trying until I do? Obviously some will be to high DC;s for my search to find, but at lower lvls would this work?

For skills like UMD, if I have (for example) armor wearable only by a dwarf with a DC of 10, my human has a UMD of 8, can I use the enhancement that lets me have a + 2 to all skill rolls for x amount of time to reach 10 and equip the armour?

Is there any way to "fail" skills checks that are automatic? Kinda just abusing the system but (for example) while soloing I've died within sight of a ressurection temple, if I die I can resurrect with no XP hit, but my bleeding stops at -5 hp, so I have no choice but to let myself die and ressurect in the tavern with the XP hit. Any way to let myself fail this? (I assume it's a heal skill)

As always thanks for any help!

Yes search is one of those "one time skills" you either have enough or you don't, trying again will yield the same result because there is no dice roll for search. The easiest way to tell if a skill has a dice roll is to use it and see if dice show up on your screen.

For UMD using any type of item or magic boost that will raise the skill to a high enough value to equip equipment will work. So for your example of needing 10 but only have an 8, yes using something that will boost it up by +2 for instance rogue skill boost, human versatility, heroism, etc. will allow you to equip the race or alignment restricted item. Once the item is equipped removing the temporary skill buffs or items will not cause the item to be removed.

Well stabilizing isn't exactly a skill but what you can do is just type /death and that will kill you. But be careful because it will kill you no matter what so only use it if you really want to die.

The_Cataclysm
08-18-2007, 01:18 PM
For search, there is no reason to keep trying unless something changes. Like if your search skill gets increased you might be able to find it. Also if you were searching too far away and move closer to the the secret door/trap make you might be able to find it by researching.

As long as your total UMD meets or beats the UMD required at the time you try to equip something you can. So yes, a skill boost, a bard song, etc will help you.

The only way to fail an automatic skill check would be to find the means to decrease the skill. Now when you are bleeding, it is not a skill check but rather a stability check (believe you have a 5% chance to stabilize). Heal only comes into effect when someone else tries to bring you back while you are bleeding through use of a heal kit. Of course if you stabilize or just want to end the process sooner, you can always use the /death command to kill yourself.

Also note that you do get an XP hit whenever you die. Being raised by some means other than releasing back to a tavern will give you back half of that XP.

Symar-FangofLloth
08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Heal also applies when resting at a shrine- the highest heal skill in nearby party members determines how much hp you get back. So a high heal bard or cleric will make everyone (except warforged, they need repair) get most if not all hp back.

ArkoHighStar
08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
All skills in the game can be modified in various ways, all have items that can increase your skill total, and spells or portions that increase stats can increase your skills
Example: search, if you are not already wearing an int boosting item, the +4 int boost from a foxes cunning spell, from either potion, wand,scroll or cast spell will grant you a +2 to search for the duration of the spell, so if you search again your new total will be used).
heroism and greater heroism give a +2 and +4 to skills
search items can be found in either ring or goggle form and the + to skills goes up to +15 on a RR lvl 13 item.

The onlt exception to items that have skill boosts is UMD as it is very powerful, the game does not have any random items with a UMD bonus, the golden cartouche is a necklace that gives a +3 to UMD, it is the only item outside a raid item that is available, and is a semi static reward from the deleras quest chain.