PDA

View Full Version : when do you get sneak damage?

Lorien_the_First_One
08-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Well I've just started my first rogue and it's not completely apparent to me when you get sneak damage (it certainly doesn't seem to follow normal D&D rules).

I think you get it when they are:

held/helpless

caught unaware

actively fighting and agro'd against someone else

Is that about right?

SableShadow
08-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Well I've just started my first rogue and it's not completely apparent to me when you get sneak damage (it certainly doesn't seem to follow normal D&D rules).

I think you get it when they are:

held/helpless

caught unaware

actively fighting and agro'd against someone else

Is that about right?

Yep. You also get it if you're using a deception weapon and get the random hit that activates deception...somewhere between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20, depending who you ask. And...you can also get it with a successful bluff/improved feint.

Mostly, it's any time you don't have agro...the 'held/helpless' seems to vary a lot according to the actual mechanism, so....holds/stone/stunned = yes, tripped/back turned = no.

rimble
08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
You get Sneak Attack when they are Blind too. Nag the spellcasters to throw Glitterdust around.

Nymie_the_Pooh
08-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Basically, when they are not focused on you. There are a lot of particulars, most are noted, but this is about all my wee mind can handle.

Talcyndl
08-06-2007, 11:31 AM
You get Sneak Attack when they are Blind too. Nag the spellcasters to throw Glitterdust around.

Or if you have a reasonably high UMD, buy some scrolls. They are easy to cast on doors before you open them to tough fights.

SableShadow
08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Or if you have a reasonably high UMD, buy some scrolls. They are easy to cast on doors before you open them to tough fights.

I'd thought about that, but never tried it...is the DC off a scroll high enough to make it worth it or is it very monster situational?

SableShadow
08-06-2007, 07:51 PM

Or if your strength based, get your hands on a Sirrocco! :)

ArkoHighStar
08-07-2007, 12:15 AM
bluff and diplomacy are your friends for getting free sneak attack dmg, if you get aggro just hit diplomacy and they will turn around and voila free sneak attack, bluff will alow a sneak attack on a mob that is about to attack you, bluff them and you get sneak attack dmg even thoiugh they are facing you and not aggroed on something else.
The most effective way to maintain sneak attack dmg is to follow a tank around and help him out, if he can keep aggro every hit will be a sneak attack, which is why subtle backstabber enhancement becomes so important. At lvl 13 you are throwing out 7d6 sneak attack, on top of any regular dmg you do. Many rogues switch to stat damagers as this limits aggro to just attribute dmg, base dmg and sneak attack dmg, with subtle backstabber 3, that drops by 30%, and if you are following a heavy dps tank, those mobs will fall like a ton of bricks.

Talcyndl
08-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I'd thought about that, but never tried it...is the DC off a scroll high enough to make it worth it or is it very monster situational?

It works well enough on certain monsters. I use them a lot in Trial by Fire and Cabal for One. It seems to work.

SableShadow
08-07-2007, 09:28 AM
It works well enough on certain monsters. I use them a lot in Trial by Fire and Cabal for One. It seems to work.

Excellent, thank you! :)

binnsr
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
cool .. i had purchased a stack of them at one point, but ended up selling them off because it didn't seem to stick all that much for me .. plus, the short duration (off of scroll) didn't seem to last long enough to be worth it..

Soldarm
08-14-2007, 06:26 AM
But do you still the sneak attack damage if you have/using an elemental weapon..eg- +3 Frost rapier of pure good? or +5 holy short sword etc

smodge13
08-14-2007, 07:46 AM
tripped/back turned = no.

actually attacking their back gives you sneak attack damage in pvp