PDA

View Full Version : Shield bashing for newbies

manningr
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Hello-
And please forgive me if this post doesn't belong here (after all, I AM a newbie, about two weeks in). I've looked around for really good information about shield bashing, but have found potentially outdated and sometimes conflicting reports. I would like to build a defensive/intimidate type paladin. Could someone explain the merits of shield bashing for me? How effective is it, how much damage does it usually inflict, how much aggro does it generate, and really- why would it ever be a better option than hacking away with an (awesome weapon of your choice)? All of this would be nice to know, especially before investing in "improved shield bash" when there are so many desirable options trying to catch my eye.

Thanks in advance, and happy adventuring!

Rasputin the neophyte paladin

ps- would this post have better luck if submitted in a different section of the forums?

Borror0
07-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi manningr! First, I'd adivse you to spalsh at least one level of fighter into your Paladin so you can max intimidate. IntimiTank are a great asset to a party, but you need to focus on Intimidate.

Secondly, I've took Improved Shield Bashing.... and I'm not too sure to keep it yet. I'll test it a bit, but I'm thinking about respec'ing it. Now, one thing you got to know is that, as a paldin, you will be very thin on feats. I would not advise it to you yet, I think there are much better feats for you.

Now, you're asking how much aggro does it generate? Not much, swinging with your weapon of choice does, in fact, deal more damage but sometimes,. when you grab the aggro of a lot of mobs, it is advised to Shield Block to avoid death. This is were ISB comes into effect, is it worth a feat, I fear not.

Ekental
07-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Shield bashing does little dmg compared to an actual weapon, and does not grant you your +5 and 10 mods on your 3rd and 4th swing (respectively).

Theoretically, you could hit the intimidate button and shield bash away to keep aggro. Your sole contribution to the party will then be an aggro magnet like any other intimitank.

I personally only appreciate the intimitanks that can contribute in dmg as well as have high ac. This won't be possible with "shield bash".

As for aggro generated, you'll get just as much as a weapon while shield bashing that is comparitive to the dmg you do with the shield (generally 1d6 base). Expect to have intimidate as your sole way of keeping aggro, the shield bash wont cut it.

manningr
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Thank you both for your prompt responses, they are helpful. Wish me luck

-Rasputin, neophyte holy turtle

negative
07-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Also, if you splash one level of fighter to max intimidate, you should take that fighter level at level one.

Also, I think Improve Shield Bash feat is still bugged and doens't work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bottomline is, shield bashing won't do much damage and won't hold aggro, but I have a character like this myself, and it's not a bad path to take if you play it right. Bottomline is, sometimes you need to shield block, a lot of times you don't. When you don't, swing away!

tihocan
07-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Also, I think Improve Shield Bash feat is still bugged and doens't work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be fixed, even though I never tried it.

STROBE
08-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a lvl 14 paladin with improved shield bash, also shield mastery and improved shield mastery, so I will share some of my experiences, impressions, and opinions with you.

Shield bashing is a very slow killer compared to swinging weapons, but it has its perks. While shield bashing you retain your full shield bonus to your armor class, and full damage reduction to any enemy blow which strikes your shield.

The damage output is low. Seems like mostly single digits. I believe using the paladin's divine favor spell pushes the to hit and damage up by 3 each.

Be sure to obtain and use a shield of bashing. It adds 1-6 more damage and it is typed force damage, which few if any foes can resist.

Be sure to equip the highest + shield you can equip as a +5 shield has 4 more damage reduction than a +1 shield, while blocking/bashing.

For me at level 14, I think I have damae reduction of 22 while shield blocking or bashing with a +5 large shield.

By wearing +4 plate mail of hammerblock I can get the total damage reduction up to 27 while blocking/bashing.

Note that against ranged weapons the damage reduction is cut in half so against spears/arrows/bolts/daggers my damage reduction is 11 while blocking/bashing.

I can boost it to 16 by wearing +4 plate mail of spearblocking.

I find bashing usefull when soloing, especially against a group of foes, as I whittle away at them one by one while taking little damage (no casters or casters are dead). Also, it is a great tactic against razor cats, but very slow.

I use blocking/bashing in a group at choke points like doors, or when the tide of battle has turned against a group and I need to survive while finishing our enemies.

If you turn on auto attack, then whenever you shield block you will automatically bash the nearest foe if he is in range of your shield.

You didn't ask, but I have had the tower shield feat on this Paladin. I respeced it out with a shard. After 14 levels I just couldn't put up with the -2 to hit and the need to unequip the tower shield every time I needed to jump. I will never use a tower shield again.

Thats all I can think of right now. Hope it is helpful.

negative
08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Note that against ranged weapons the damage reduction is cut in half so against spears/arrows/bolts/daggers my damage reduction is 11 while blocking/bashing.

I've never heard of this. I'm pretty sure you still get your full DR against missle attacks. I'll have to test this.